AFPHM John Snow Scholarship – Medical scholarships from The Royal Australasian College of Physicians, awarded to students at accredited medical schools and universities in Australia and New Zealand.
The primary goal of this blog is to empower students and help them achieve their academic and professional goals through an innovative and transformative educational experience. We are delighted to invite you to join us on this exceptional journey.
The John Snow Scholarship by the Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine (AFPHM) is designed to raise awareness among medical students and guide them towards considering public health medicine as a potential career path or specialty.
As the leading faculty responsible for public health medicine training in Australasia, AFPHM offers medical students valuable opportunities to engage in intellectual and social discussions with AFPHM Fellows and trainees. Through this scholarship, students can broaden their understanding of the field and gain insights from experienced professionals in public health medicine.
In the field of public health medicine, physicians play a crucial role in addressing the health and well-being of entire populations. These professionals receive comprehensive training in both clinical medicine and public health, which enables them to pursue various avenues, including:
- Promoting the health and well-being of populations.
- Preventing diseases and illnesses through proactive measures.
- Assessing the health needs of communities.
- Delivering essential healthcare services to communities and specific population groups.
- Engaging in vital public health research.
- Organization Name: The Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- Organization Mandate: The Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) connects, represents and trains over 15,000 Physicians and 7,500 trainee Physicians in Australia and New Zealand.
- Countries: Australia, New Zealand
- Regions: Oceania
- Degree level: Graduate
- Field of study: Medicine
- Deadline: October
- Eligible nationality: Any nationality, but applicants must be medical students currently enrolled in a medical school in Australian or New Zealand University.
Benefits of the AFPHM John Snow Scholarship
The recipient of the John Snow Scholarship 2024 will enjoy the following benefits:
- A cash prize of $500
- An official certificate recognizing your outstanding achievement
- Reimbursement of expenses, up to $1000, to attend an event or conference organized by any of the following organizations:
- Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) / Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine (AFPHM)
- Public Health Association of Australia (PHAA)
- New Zealand College of Public Health Medicine (NZCPHM)
Also check: FNSNA Breakthrough To Nursing Scholarships 2023
- Applications are de-identified and assessed based on the selection criteria and marking guide.
- Following the evaluation process, each review panel will choose a regional finalist, and all applicants will receive notification of the outcome of their application.
- The review panels retain the discretion to refrain from nominating a regional finalist if the submissions do not meet the required level of excellence.
- The chosen representatives from every Australian state, territory, and Aotearoa New Zealand will receive an invitation to present their work virtually at the 2024 finals. The presentations will be evaluated by a panel of judges, and an overall winner will be determined
Note: You must be a medical student currently enrolled in a medical school at an Australian or Aotearoa New Zealand university.
Applicant need to provide the following supporting documentation (in a single PDF file):
- A piece of work previously submitted for formative or summative assessment to your medical school.
The piece can also be a public health project in the form of a case history, reflection, evidence-based medicine project or clinical audit from your professional portfolio.
Note: The piece is not assessed as part of the application but is required to ensure that the Scholarship is accessible to all medical students and not only those who have completed extracurricular public health study or work.
- A reflection piece (800 to 1000 words) demonstrating your understanding of one to two selected learning objectives from the Public Health Medicine Advanced Training Curriculum (PDF)
that you gained by undertaking a medical school assessment piece.
- A presentation plan (500 words maximum) describing how you would present the assessment piece and the reflection if chosen as a scholarship recipient.
- A letter of support from the University (DOC) confirming that you’re currently enrolled as a student and that the piece of work you are presenting has been submitted for formative or summative assessment. The letter should be signed by the Dean of the Medical School.
- A completed application form.
Applicants must ensure the following:
- Your name or any personal identifying information must not appear in the selected piece of work, reflection or presentation plan to allow for unbiased selection
- References are formatted in Vancouver style as required by the Medical Journal of Australia
- If your Summative Assessment piece is a group project, then you are required to submit an individual application with individual reflection and presentation plans demonstrating what you have learned, and not the group learnings
Email your complete application to Foundation@racp.edu.au
For more information about John Snow Scholarship, visit their official website