Herbert Nickens Medical Scholarship is proudly sponsored by the Association of American medical colleges (AAMC). They give Scholarship opportunity to medical students to make their study more blissful.
Keep reading for more information because this blog has all the information you need.
Herbert Nickens Medical Scholarship breakdown:
Name of organization: AAMC
Deadline: April 1
Study in: United States
The Herbert Nickens Award is given to an individual who has made outstanding contributions to promoting justice in medical education and health care equity in the United States. Dr. Herbert W. Nickens was the founding vice president of the AAMC Division of Community and Minority Programs, now Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion.
Dr. Nickens’ passionate leadership contributed greatly to focusing national attention on the need to support underrepresented racial and ethnic minorities in medicine.
The awardee receives the Nickens Award and a $10,000 prize. The awardee will also present the Nickens Lecture at Learn Serve Lead 2023: The AAMC Annual Meeting in Seattle, WA.
Benefit of Herbert Nickens Medical Student Scholarships:
This benefit that comes with this scholarship opportunity is overwhelming as ii gives up to $5,000.
About the AAMC organization:
The AAMC was founded in 1876, when a group of deans and faculty met at the Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia to discuss the state of medical education in the U.S.
At that time, medical education was largely unregulated and of widely varying quality, leading to a lack of trust in the medical profession. This group of educators established basic practices for medical schools. The annual meeting of the AAMC became a forum for medical school deans to discuss issues related to medical education.
In recent decades, the most visible work of the AAMC may be the services related to selection of applicants for medical school and residency.
Today, the AAMC survives and thrives, a testament to medical schools’ impetus to provide the best possible education for tomorrow’s doctors.
Although the improvement of medical education is still its core purpose, the AAMC’s agenda now also encompasses the biomedical research that underpins that education, the health care system that reaps its benefits, and the management of the medical schools and teaching hospitals where that education occurs.
Application process for this Scholarship:
For you as a student to be qualified to even start the application process, your school must first of all recommend you as a good medical student.
In one year, medical schools can bring one person.
After your nomination, you will have to provide the application materials required;
See: a full checklist can be found here.
Who is Eligible to apply for Herbert Nickens Medical Scholarship:
For you to apply, you must:
- Be in you third year in medical school.
- Have Shown leadership traits that is able to get rid of sin in medical education and health care.
- Have displayed leadership sense in addressing issue concerning Education, societal and health care needs of racial and ethnic minorities in the United States.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be residing permanently in the U.S or DACA recipients.
In conclusion, all school interested are only allowed to bring on student each year.
- Write an essay more like a statement required by the scholarship which will contain the leadership efforts you have out which was mentioned earlier.
- The essay should not be more than 2 pages in length and will not serve as an assessment and part of your application.
- It also shows us the reason why you should be awarded this very scholarship.
- At the end of your second year you can submit it to each of the school faculty members that you’ll need a recommendation from to promote yourself as a nominee.